Hey there, explorer!
There are those people who have these incredible jobs that take them all over the world, doing what they love, climbing, hiking, photographing, looking at birds, flying planes, out on the ocean researching marine-life, whatever else, so much else. It’s amazing!!
Most of us, however, do not. We work at a desk, or at home. Some might have the option of working anywhere in the world, but for some different reason are pretty much in one place all the time. Not that we have bad jobs (some might). I, personally, like my job a lot. And I’m not that staying in one place is bad. Many like or prefer that.
I am not one of those people.
I am a creature of habit. I typically order the same thing when I go to specific restaurants. I have the same morning and nighttime routine. I fall into habits easily. I think most of us are creatures of habit to some extent.
Although, I am one for habits, the same daily/weekly routine makes me CRAZY! I get so bored. I feel like I need constant entertainment and/or stimulus. I reach for ways to get it. Most times, I’ll reach for a snack. When I can, I just go to sleep. Not really the best options…
I really don’t handle boredom well.
There is more behind why I don’t handle boredom well and my need to escape it, but that’s not for this post. (and maybe it’s just that I’m a damn millennial)
Since realizing this and being so aware of it when it happens, I’ve started to look for other ways to find excitement.
can’t am not going to turn my life upside down in a day and be in a different place every day. I like my life how it is. I just needed to see it differently. I wanted to find the adventure in every day.
Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
- Wake up earlier. Okay – this is not always easy, but when I do it, I love it. Try it. There’s something magical about being up early when the rest of the world is quiet.
- Try a new coffee or tea. Lately I’ve been drinking only white and herbal teas (trying to cut down that caffeine). I found some really amazing teas. Right now my favorite is Mighty Leaf’s Camomile Citrus. It turns my water a pinkish color and tastes beautiful. It’s a most lovely experience.
- Read a book, magazine, or newspaper that’s outside of your typical genre. You might be surprised what incredible and interesting things you’ll find.
- Take a different route to work or home. I don’t do this often, but every now and then I have to take a different route for some reason, and it’s nice to see different things on the way. And who knows, maybe you’ll find a better way.
- Ask a friend a random question. This is one of my favorites. I love learning about people and some questions can lead to really interesting conversations.
- Read an online article (or blog post, anyone :wink:.). There is so much to learn and so many easy and fast ways to get to new information.
- Go for a walk and look for 3 new things. This one started when I was walking my dog, and trying to walk “mindfully”. I noticed she is always mindful, always looking at what’s around. I thought “walk more like the dog”.
- Plan a treat. My co-workers and I made a plan to order something good for lunch twice a month (on pay day). It’s something fun we all look forward to. You could do something daily, like have one piece of chocolate or almonds other small snack at 3pm, or something similar. My favorite right now is an apple with some almond butter.
- Try a new food. This one took me a long time (most of my life) to do, but it is one of the greatest things I have ever done. It has opened me up to so many amazing flavors and experiences.
There are such diverse ways you can find excitement in your daily life. You don’t need to jump off cliffs everyday to have an adventure (although rock on if that’s what you do!). All things are incredible in there own way if only we take the time to look.
If you seek it, and you put just the smallest amount of effort, adventure can be found everyday.
What do you do to find excitement in the every day? Have you done any of the things mentioned? Let me know how it goes in the comments below!